As Cary's trusted and experienced company, our team has been helping customers with electrical solutions. Take a look at a couple of our photos from our past work.
1. What is the difference between a Level 1 and Level 2 EV Charger?
Level 1 uses a standard 120-volt electrical outlet that you will find in your garage. A level 1 charger limits you to 3-5 miles of charging per hour and is the slowest charging option. Level 2 chargers power an EV using a 240-volt circuit, requiring professional installation of either a NEMA 14-50 outlet or a hardwired charging station. A level 2 charger increases your charging rate significantly so you can quickly recharge your vehicle overnight. A charger at this level is the fastest option available for home installation.
2. Which Level 2 charger should I buy?
We highly recommend several charger manufacturers based on reliability, quality, and pricing.
- For Tesla Users – We highly recommend a Tesla Wall Connector or Tesla Mobile Connector (240V)
- For Non-Tesla Users – We highly recommend ChargePoint, Juicebox, or Wallbox chargers.
3. How much will my Level 2 charger installation cost?
Most standard installations range from $899 to $1,700, which does not include the actual price of a Level 2 charger (about $500 to $800, depending on the model). The standard installation includes all permits, inspections, labor, materials, and expertise needed to add a dedicated circuit and either install a NEMA 14-50 electrical outlet or hardwire your charging station and mount it on your wall. The majority of homes in our area qualify for a standard installation, which just means that your garage must be attached to the home, and your electrical panel must have the following:
- Adequate power to handle the load of the new charging station
- Enough physical space to accommodate the new circuit breaker
If your home does not meet these requirements, we can provide you with different solutions so you can still enjoy the benefits of a Level 2 charger in your home.
4. I thought you said it was FREE.
Time for the good news! It absolutely can be free. Duke Energy has recently started a new program to encourage all households to become EV ready. That means they are providing customers with a generous rebate of up to $1,117 for electrical upgrades associated with EV chargers. Since most of our Level 2 charger installations fall below this rebate amount, you can have your new Level 2 charger installed for free.
The main requirements for the rebate program are:
- Installation must be done by a Licensed electrical contractor (we are)
- Installation must be permitted within your town (we will file the permits for you)
- Installation must be inspected by your town inspector (we will meet the inspector for you)
- Detailed invoice and inspection form must be provided (we will provide them to you)
We will provide you with all of this, so all you have to do is fill out the online rebate application through Duke Energy. Once they have everything, they will credit you for the total amount of up to $1,117.
For more details on this offer, visit Duke Energy:
5. Do I need a permit?
100%. Not only is a permit required for the completion of a Level 2 charger, but it is in your
best interest to have one.
- Safety - Permitting allows you to have a final inspection performed by a town electrical inspector to ensure your installation is safe and installed properly.
- Insurance - An improperly installed Level 2 charger can be a major fire and safety risk.
Having a permit and inspection lessens that risk and protects you in the event of an unforeseen accident related to the EV charger. If a claim is ever filed, your insurance company would likely request proof that everything was correctly installed. We simplify the installation process by handling the permitting and inspection for you.
6. How long will my installation take?
For reference, our standard installations are typically completed within 3 hours. That means you can start charging your vehicle as soon as we clean up!
7. Will there be any power interruptions during the installation?
Almost all of our standard Level 2 installations can be performed with zero interruptions. We understand that more and more people are working from home, so we go above and beyond to make sure your full electrical system remains uninterrupted during installation.
8. Everything sounds great; how do we start the installation process?
We have a straightforward process to get started. We will start with a brief phone call where we can answer any additional questions you might have. We will also ask you a few basic questions (type of car, where you plan to park, electrical panel location, etc.) We will also request one or two general photos to help us assess your electrical system. We will then send you a quote once we have all the information we need. After receiving your approval, we will file all associated permits and inspections, then contact you to schedule your installation date and time.
Call us now at (919) 935-0362 or use our convenient online contact portal if you have additional questions.
- On-Time Service... Guaranteed!
- Flexible Scheduling
- Upfront Pricing
- Expert Advice